Adapted from the Joy of Cooking. This recipe makes exactly two pairs of waffles, enough for breakfast for two.
- scant 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 to 1 stick butter (more butter = rich and crispy waffles, I usually use 6 tbsp) melted
- to serve: mimosas, Vermont maple syrup, whipped cream, freshly cut strawberries, cooked bacon
- Melt the butter and set aside.
- Combine the buttermilk and eggs in a bowl, whisk to combine.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a larger bowl. Stir to distribute and make a well in the center.
- Add the melted butter to the buttermilk mixture, whisking to combine. Pour the wet mixture over the dry, again whisking to combine with a few strong strokes. Do not overmix; it’s okay if the batter is a little uneven.
- Cook the waffles in a preheated waffle iron according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Serve with toppings of your choice!