This is one of my favorite cakes. It is not overly sweet, so you can have it at any time of day. Delicious with a cup of hot tea.
- 3 eggs
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, melted and brought to room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp baking powder
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp unsweetened, dutch process cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Lightly butter a bundt pan, dust with flour, and set aside.
- Combine the sugar and eggs in the bowl of a stand mixer. Whisk just to combine and then add the melted butter.
- Whisk on medium-high speed for almost a minute. The mix should start to look lighter and a bit airy.
- Add the vanilla extract, baking powder, and lemon zest. Whisk just to combine.
- Finally, add the flour and milk and whisk again to combine.
- Pour half of the batter into the bundt pan, distributing evenly.
- Stir the cocoa powder into the remaining batter and add to the bundt pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. An overbaked bábovka will be dry so be careful not to overbake.
- Turn the cake out onto a drying rack. It should release easily.
- Let it cool for at least 10 minutes before dusting with confectioner’s sugar.