Delicious recreation of a classic.
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 package dry Italian -style salad dressing mix (.7 ounce)
- 2.5lb chuck roast
- 4 small pickled pepperoncini
- Italian rolls
- Fresh mozzarella, sliced (optional)
- Combine broth with ground black pepper, oregano, basil, onion salt, parsley, garlic powder, bay leaf, and salad dressing mix in a saucepan. Stir well, and bring to a boil.
- Place roast in slow cooker and pour mixture over the meat.
- Cover, and set to cook on low for 11 hours. Remove beef and shred with a fork.Cover, and set to cook on low for 11 hours. Remove beef and shred with a fork.
- Return shredded beef to the pot and add 4 small pepperoncini. Continue cooking on low for another 1.5 hours.
- When cooked for 12.5 hours total, remove the bay leaf. Keep warm for serving.
- Assemble sandwiches and enjoy! We like to eat with fresh mozzarella slices.